March 17, 2012

In honor of St. Patrick's Day

Hello Everyone,

I am an Irish girl - well I'm an American who is mostly Irish in ancestry, a fact I was quite proud of growing up, and I'm not even sure why. 



Now, I don't know about you guys, but I never knew why Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated, so I decided to look it up today. Lucky you guys, I did the research for us all! 

St. Patrick's Day has been celebrated for more than 1,000 years, and marks the anniversary of St. Patrick (March 17th, 461), the national apostle of Ireland. He is credited to bringing Christianity to Ireland. Legend has it he explained the Holy Trinity using the three leaves of a shamrock. Traditionally in Ireland, pubs were closed on March 17th, as it was a religious holiday, but in 1995 the government realized they could use the holiday as a tourism campaign - now over one million people gather in Dublin to partake in St. Patrick's Day celebrations in Dublin (the Mardi-Gras of Ireland!). Although it is an Irish holiday, it is celebrated in many countries including the United States (home of the biggest St. Patrick's Day Parades), Canada, Australia, Japan, Singapore, and Russia. 

In honor of the day, here are a few Limerick Poems :-)


A flea and a fly in a flue
We're imprisoned, so what could they do?
Said the fly, "Let us flee!"
"Let us fly!" said the flea
So they flew through a flaw in the flue


There once was a boy named Kyle,
who passed out in a pile,
"Shit" he said,
as the pigs were fed,
I must of been out for a while.



There was an old man with a beard
Who sad, 'tis just as I feared!
Four larks and wren,
Two owls and a hen,
Have all built their nests in my beard!'



My dad said there was once a lady
Who lived to one hundred and eighty
She only ate flies
Which she baked into pies
But I think this story's a bit shady



Einstein was exceedingly bright
And exceeded the speed limit of light
He set out one day in a relative way
And returned on the previous night




Now go out and drink some festive green beer tonight, there's time to read tomorrow! 





(All limerick poems from limerickpoems.org)

No comments: